Understanding Industrial Processes Measurement & Control
Course Number: FG05
Length: 3 days
Cost: $2,045 (Cdn Dollars)
An overview of industrial measurement and control will be presented. Using a generally, non-mathematical approach, students are provided with a foundation for communication with control system professionals.
- Communicate with measurement and control professionals.
- Understand the role of measurement and control in industrial processes.
- Compare continuous, batch, and discrete control and how they are used in industry.
- Interpret measurement and control terminology.
- Compare the methods and devices used in temperature, pressure, and level flow measurement.
- Understand the operation and components of a feedback control loop.
- Understand the fundamental concepts of controller tuning.
- Compare different control system architectures including single loop controllers, DCS, and PLCs.
- Apply ISA standards to interpret symbols and documentation.
- Communicate the latest trends in measurement and control.
- Concepts of Process Control: Continuous / Batch / Discrete Control / The Role of Measurement and Control in Industry / Graphic Description of Loop Components / Component Loop Dynamics.
- Industrial Measurement Systems: Overview / Sensor Selection and Characteristics / Transmitters / Smart Transmitters.
- Pressure Measurements: Concepts / Instruments / Differential Pressure Measurement
- Level Measurement: Concepts / Hydrostatic Head Level Measurement / Capacitance Level Measurement / Ultrasonic Level Measurement / by Weight
- Flow Measurement: Fluid Fundamentals / Methods and Concepts / Differential Head Flow Measurement / Velocity Flow Measurement Devices / Mass Flowmeters
- Temperature Measurement: Concepts / Thermometers / Thermocouples / RTDs / Thermistors / Temperature Transmitters
- Industrial Process Control: Basic Feedback Control / Components / PID Control / Final Control Elements / Tuning Concepts
- Trends in Control Technologies: Smart Components / Fieldbus Classroom / Laboratory Exercises:
- Flow measurement review.
- Pressure scales review.
- Interpreting simple P&IDs A hand-held calculator should be brought to class. Includes ISA Text.